CD wallets are a great way to store lots of movies in MUCH less space than the boxes that the DVD's come in. Given how much crap that I already have on shelves (and lots of people I know are in the same boat), that's a good thing and makes more room in the home theater for refrigerators, pizza ovens and other theater goodies.
However, as Shelly has repeatedly reminded me, the discs themselves don't help one remember which of the 400+ DVDs it actually is. This is particularly true of movies that weren't blockbusters in the first place. I knew that I didn't want to put the DVD's back in their cases, but agreed that having the cover picture, and basic movie information would make picking out a movie much easier. Square "covers" the size of the disc themselves will go in binders or in really any sleeve type storage setup.
I figured that the Amazon web services API's and a quick PHP script could get me useful covers for the movies in these binders. I actually whipped up the script a few weeks ago, but took the time to go through the binders today and fill up the printer queue to the inkjet printer. The resulting stack of paper was taken past Shelly's scrapbooking area to trim them and the result is a bunch of binders that can be flipped through and you can tell what movie each is.
Because this is a quick and dirty hack, it has issues. If the editorial review is too long, it just chops it off. And, it seems to not find some stuff that you'd expect it too. C'est la vie.
My installation is up and available on this site. And, if you want to put it on your own PHP server (or the traffic gets too insane on my installation to cut me off from Amazon's API's, you can grab the full source package. Make sure you set the Amazon developer token to yours. It's under GPL terms.